Sunday, November 2, 2008

My First 30 Miles


(The route via car - just as an idea for distance)

Jumped on the Bianchi today for a nice little Sunday ride, figured I would enjoy the amazing November weather - when's the last time it was 70 in November? Not really having a route planned, I just went with the flow. Started riding north from Logan Square ended up on Damen headed north, and just kept going. It was one of those, I wonder what's just passed the light, or I wonder what's up there, next thing you know I'm rolling into Evanston 15 miles later. This was my first ride like this, i'm normally not a distance rider - but have recently wanted to push myself to see how far I could go. Riding fixed makes things a little bit more interesting, I mean you can't stop peddling and there's no shifting gears to adjust with the terrain.

I stopped at the Barnes and Noble in Evanston to make a couple pick ups - you know The Economist, and a copy of The Prince by Machiavelli suggested by my roommate Nelson. Between leaving B & N, and trying to find my back I stopped at Turin, a bike shop in Evanston that happens to be a Bianchi dealer. Picked up the Bianchi 09 catalog, and a energy bar. They had a dope Pista Concept hanging in the window! Maybe a sign of things to come.

A little winded on the way back, I kind of had to retrace my steps, strolling through many a Chicago north side neighborhoods. Pushing into a head wind it wasn't easy, I had to work a little to find rhythm, and fight off the burn. Yet I will say it's amazing how much character this city has, something about that area just north reminds me of home back in Lansing, Mi. Crazy enough it ended up being one of the best rides I've ever experienced. There's nothing like a little adventure in the city, especially when you make some good literary pick ups and get to ride with a light jacket on in November! I was a little hurt I didn't bring my camera as it was a perfect day to shoot.

No comments: